Safer sex with a condom
A condom gives you the freedom to have enjoyable sex with whomever you want, and if used correctly, it provides effective protection against sexually transmitted infections and unwanted pregnancy.
What you need to remember is:
- The condom must be used for the full duration of intercourse.
- Change condom if more than one person is being penetrated by the same penis or dildo.
- Change condom if it is used for a long time; otherwise it will dry out and there is a risk it will break.
- Pull the condom off the penis carefully so that no semen leaks out.
- If you use an extra lubricant, you should choose water-based or silicon-based types. NB You must not use fat-based products such as oils, Vaseline or skin creams since they ruin the rubber and cause it to tear.
- Make sure the condom is not too old; there is always an expiry date on the pack. Condoms usually last for at least five years.
- If you keep a condom in your wallet, it is advisable to replace it once a month since it will be subjected to rubbing and pressure, which reduce its durability.
Last updated: 3/25/2015